Every Kid Is One Caring Adult Away from Being a Success Story
- Motivation & Inspiration
- Parenting & Family
- Professional Development
- Educators & Staff
Fee Range: $8K-11KInvite Josh
• At-Risk Foster Kid to Harvard University
• Featured by Oprah, NY Times, Good Morning America
• Bestselling Author of Several Books
Statistically, Josh Shipp should be dead, in jail, or homeless. But his success as a preeminent author, speaker, and youth advocate is living proof of the power of one caring adult.
A former at-risk foster kid turned youth advocate, Josh is renowned for the documentary TV series on A&E that followed his groundbreaking work with youth and families.
He has written two national bestsellers to date, “The Grown-Up’s Guide to Teenage Humans” – winner of the Nautilus Gold Award for Parenting & Family – and “The Teen’s Guide to World Domination.”
Thanks to the support of teachers, counselors, and a wonderful set of foster parents, Josh went on to be listed on Inc. Magazine’s 30 under 30 list and completed his postgraduate studies at Harvard.
Josh is regularly called on by OPRAH, CNN, FOX, The New York Times, 20/20, Good Morning America, and others to provide commentary on common challenges faced by parents and teachers.
Over the years, Josh has keynoted events for countless groups of parents, educators, and social workers – with audiences as large as 55,000 – and to date has spoken live in front of more than two million people. Viral clips of his acclaimed presentations have been viewed an estimated 50 million times online through platforms such as UpWorthy, Goalcast, and BuzzFeed.
To serve his ultimate goal of reaching as many youth as possible, Josh trains other speakers through Youth Speaker University, helping them use their own stories to make an impact. His social and emotional learning curriculum, Year of Awesomeness, is in use in hundreds of classrooms all around the world, while his free newsletter offers practical strategies to 200K+ parents, educators, and social workers.
Josh had a challenging childhood, bouncing from one foster home to the next until a small handful of caring adults reached out to him. Now he wants to pass this knowledge on to as many others as he can so that they can be those caring adults for the kids like him in their lives.
As Josh says, “Every kid is ONE caring adult away from being a success story.”
Josh Shipp was a foster kid, class clown, a trouble maker. He was written off, kicked out, and every adult’s worst nightmare. Until one caring adult changed everything. In his trademark playful yet authoritative style, Josh delivers practical ways that your audience can make a difference in a kid’s life.
As a foster kid, class clown, and troublemaker, Josh knows what it’s like to be left out and left behind by almost everyone. And yet, thanks to just one caring adult, he turned his life around and learned to thrive. Equal parts empathy, instruction, and inspiration, this unforgettable talk will move your audience to action.
- OWNERSHIP: Help kids take ownership when they inevitably mess up.
- COMMUNICATION: Improve communication (on both sides) without nagging.
- TRUST: How to gain (or regain) the trust of even the most skeptical or oppositional kids.
- CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS: Get the kids you care about to open up to you even about difficult or awkward topics.
Statistically, Josh Shipp should be dead, in jail, or homeless. His heartwarming story is living proof of the impact of one caring adult.
If you’re looking to compel an audience to donate to your cause, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more heartfelt, inspirational, or authentic speaker than Josh.
Audience members will laugh, cry, and be deeply moved to support your cause.
- His tear-jerking personal story of hardship as an at-risk foster kid.
- The heart-warming story of Rodney – the one caring adult who changed Josh’s life.
- A direct and personal call to action, by Josh, to invest in your organization so that other kids can have a “Rodney.”
Q&A WITH JOSH SHIPP: The Art & Science of Being That One Caring Adult
Being a kid these days is tough.
Being the teacher or parent of a kid is even tougher.
That’s why we all need a little help sometimes.
During this interactive Q&A session, you’ll hear from Josh Shipp, who will give you practical insights on how to deal with those “I Give Up!” moments that every caring adult faces.
Once an at-risk foster kid himself, Josh was facing a bleak future likely to include prison or homelessness—until he met the one caring adult who changed his life.
You’ll Laugh. You’ll cry.
You’ll walk away with practical tools and hope to keep going.
- OWNERSHIP: When they mess up, how can I help them take ownership?
- COMMUNICATION: How do I get them to talk to me? They just grunt.
- TRUST: They blew it and lost my trust. Where do we go from here?
- BULLYING: Help! They are being bullied—online or face-to-face.
- DIFFICULT & AWKWARD CONVERSATIONS: Drugs. Death. Sex. Oh my.
- YOUR QUESTIONS: They’ll be an opportunity to ask your questions directly to Josh, so he may share advice contextualized to your situation.
“I've been in education for over 30-years and have sat through a countless number of professional development speakers. Josh Shipp is hands-down the absolute best I've seen. There is no one even a close second; the gap is astronomical. His message is funny, heartwarming, and provides practical tools for our teachers and staff.”Dr. Joel B. Holland, Superintendent
“When it comes to understanding the minds of teens, there is no greater expert than Josh Shipp. I've witnessed firsthand the lives he's transformed.”Ellen Rakieten, Executive Producer of OPRAH
“In my 15 years of being in education, Josh Shipp is hands down the best speaker that I have ever seen. I heard rave reviews from parents, staff and students for months.”Karla Reisner, Veteran Educator
“So moved by Josh’s story, guests made additional donations of more than $90,000 at our fundraiser before the evening’s end.”Dallas CASA